Both the Red Hat Enterprise Linux and the Fedora enjoy a symbiotic relationship with each other and ensures rapid innovation. Red Hat is an enterprise where as Fedora is a community and both are beneficial for each other. Fedora is the open community focused distribution, pioneered by Red Hat. The mission of Fedora is to drive new Linux improvements and developments. Fedora offers new features as it continues the Red Hat Linux tradition.It gains from the feedback and sponsorship from Red Hat. On the other hand,Red Hat can bring about cutting-edge innovation to the broad Fedora community enabling fast maturation of technology, something that you can learn from a reputed Red Hat Certification course.
Both these Linux distributions have certain unique characteristic that sets them apart from the other Linux distributions. Some of the exclusive features of each of Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Fedora are enumerated below.
Unique Features of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) That Gives It an Edge over Other Distributions:
- Precision Time Protocol (PTP):In the trading industry, low –latency and high speed applications are used which needs to be measured in microseconds, and the RHEL is a must in such industries.
- Open Hybrid Cloud: TheRHEL 6.5gives support to both the technologies of OpenStack and OpenShift and is the open source platform for cloud computing and OpenShift atomizes management, provisioning and scaling of the platforms for cloud computing. These two work in combination to furnish a Platform as a Service (PaaS) that in conjunction with Docker creates the highly desirable flexible cloud environment.
- Enhanced security: The main reason for the enhanced security is the centralized certificate trust store that offers standard certificates for security services. There are also products that support the implementation of Open SCP of SCAP (Security Content Automation Protocol).
- Faster dump files: The latest compression algorithm (LZO) helps in the creation of dump files at a rapid rate. As a result incredibly large dump files can be handled by RHEL 6.5 and this can help an organization appreciably.
- Improved virtualization tools: In the latest RHEL 6.5,lots of improvements have been made to the included virtualization tools and thereby have helped the RHEL to interact more effectively with cloud-based workloads.
The Distinguished Features of Fedora that sets it Apart From the Other Linux Distributions are:
Cutting-edge Linux technology: In the Fedora Core 5, the major features are the latest Linux 2.6 kernel, which is a Security Enhanced Linux. New features for handling clusters and Global File Systems (GFS) are added to Fedora.
Easy installation: The installation process of Fedora offers easy steps to install Linux. Options are available for choosing the packages to install and how to partition the hard disk.
Desktop environments (GNOME and KDE): For the ease of use, RHEL, Linux and Fedora are available with the KDE and GNOME desktop environments. The GNOME can be installed by default and provides incredible features, such as tools for configuring the desktop and drag-and-drop protocols.
Free and Open Software: The main success of this Fedora platform is it is an open software, not controlled by Red Hat and people outside the organization can also contribute to it.
The Red Hat Linux distribution is a rage in the software industry and hence in order to get success in the IT sector, do a Red Hat Certification and emerge as either a successful Red Hat certified administrator, architect or engineer and make it big in the IT industry.